Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Doner Car ??

Well, as an electrical engineer and one who is gravely concerned about the global warming issue it is inevitable that I would build or buy an electric car. I have studied the issues a lot over the year and have made numerous calculations. I have been thinking about the options and have concluded that the the practical approach would be to buy a used Prius and wait another six months to get a Hymotion battery. This would likely cost about $30,000 and then I would have the real thing and likely something that would be sell-able if I needed to. That said,I have sucumed to the notion of a project car and build it myself. The next best option I have concluded was to get a Saturn SC. This would be a car that would likely be supportable over the next few years. Well as a prevoius owner of three different Porsche's over the years and after seeing the other 914 blogs I got carried away with the 914/Electroautomotive concept. After a few months of looking over the options on Ebay I even found a car that i thought would be a good choice-- a 1972 914 that was not too far away and from the description was not beset with the typical passenger side rust problems. I got it for less that I expected and it even arrived within two days after setting up a carrier. I even got it delivered for about half of what the EBay delivery price was. Everything was in place until:

No comments: